Failure to Diagnose Seizures
Portland Medical Malpractice Law Firm
Approximately three percent of children under the age of 15 suffer from seizures. Generally, seizures in children can be categorized into three areas:
- Febrile seizures: Often the result of a high fever symptomatic of a childhood illness.
- Neonatal seizures: Typically occurring within 28 days of birth, resulting from a wide range of medical problems associated with fetal distress.
- Epileptic seizures: The result of diagnosed epilepsy, typically lasting more than 30 minutes. Shorter, repeated seizures may also appear.
The exact physiological cause of seizures remains unknown, but there are certain childhood disorders that indicate a high risk rate in certain children. These risk factors include:
- Family history of seizures
- Infections such as meningitis
- Cerebral palsy
- Concussion or head injury
- Fainting spells
- Migraine headaches
- Night terrors and psychological disturbances
Medical professionals have the means to diagnose the risk factors leading to seizures, as well as the means to provide medications and treatment to reduce the frequency and severity of seizures in children. If you live in Oregon or southwestern Washington, and have a child who suffers seizures that have been misdiagnosed or medically mistreated by a physician, talk to a medical malpractice attorney at Miller & Wagner, LLP.
Medical issues related to brain function and neurology are complex and require working with specialists in their field. We work with many of the Northwest's leading experts to determine whether you have a case for medical negligence relating to failure to diagnose seizures in your child. Call our lawyers with questions you may have. We offer a free consultation to evaluate your case and explain your legal options for recovering money damages.
From our offices in Portland and Eugene, our medical malpractice trial attorneys represent plaintiffs in medical negligence claims against physicians and health care providers throughout Oregon and southwestern Washington. Contact us to arrange a no-cost case evaluation today.