Hospitals are legally required to ensure the physicians, nurses and technicians on staff are professionally licensed and credentialed by the appropriate professional board. Frequently, physicians slip through the cracks, or lose accreditation due to disciplinary reasons or lack of continuing education, but are not removed from the hospital staff. No matter how experienced the doctor, nurse or technician might be, if he or she lacks the appropriate credentials and licensure, it is illegal to practice medicine or dispense medical care in a hospital in Oregon or Washington.
Hospitals in Oregon and Washington Are Required to Hire Licensed Doctors
If you suffered a misdiagnosis or improper medical treatment during a stay in a hospital in which you were treated by an uncredentialed medical provider, talk to a medical malpractice litigation attorney at Miller & Wagner, in Portland. We know the legal issues related to hospital liability and nursing errors and work with specialists to investigate to determine whether you have a strong case for recovering compensation for your injuries.
Negligent Credentialing of Physicians in Oregon
It is illegal for hospitals to provide substandard levels of medical care, including the hiring and staffing of unlicensed or unqualified physicians, nurses and technicians. Miller & Wagner’s experience with the investigation and proof of hospital negligence claims gives you a powerful advantage for your hospital negligence or medical malpractice claim.
Examples of hospital negligence include:
- Unlicensed or uncredentialed doctors and medical care specialists
- Negligent monitoring of patients
- Insufficient monitoring of pain, resulting in medication dosage errors
- Nurse errors, failure to report changes in the patient’s condition
- Doctor’s failure to give clear instructions to nurses
- Complications arising from dehydration and malnutrition
- Infections resulting from unsanitary conditions or care of surgical wounds
- Discharge from the hospital before the patient is ready to go home
From our offices in Portland, our medical malpractice trial attorneys represent plaintiffs in medical negligence claims against physicians and health care providers throughout Oregon and Washington. For your convenience, we have a satellite office in Pacific City.